Friday, March 14, 2008

Ah, work!

Today was my last day at the day job. Let me make this clear to all and sundry: I did not quit because I have an agent. That would have been a very, very bad thing. Instead, I quit because my workload quite literally landed me in therapy. After a panic attack. That lasted two hours. And brought friends.

So I'm dropping in apps at every bookstore in town. *\o/*

But back to the point, I now have more time to work, at least until I get a job again. I had a great conversation with my lovely agent, and I now have more than enough to do in that time. No big. Well, yes big. But getting my books into saleable shape and making the overall story as strong as it can be takes precedence over my ego.

It's actually going to be a fairly painful process. I need to condense five doorstops into three 120K-ish books. That's going to take a lot of work. I know which of the three titles I want to keep--Little Less Than Divine, Glory In the Dust, and The Beasts That Perish--and I'm still pleased with the supertitle (The Heirs of the Earth), so I don't have to wibble over my babies. (BTW, Colleen, I'll have you know I spent hours reading the Tanakh to find those titles. :P I'm recycling the other two into something else!)

Yeah, the books need a hell of a lot of work. I can do this, though. I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonnit, people like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment