Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Because, of course, there's a recession on.

So I've lost my mind and quit my day job, in approximately that order. Actually, the losing of the mind in the form of a very nasty panic attack (something I've never before experienced) triggered the quitting of the job. I figure that a company can have my time, my devotion, and my loyalty. My sanity and health, however, are for writing and writing alone.

I'm within five pages of finishing the rough draft of a novelette I started two frigging years ago. This makes me happy. So does the prospect of getting a part-time job in a bookstore. So does the prospect of moving along with THotE, which is my Great and Monstrous Series of Fantasy and Intrigue. I'm freaking out a little over the loss of income, because I'll be lucky to get half of what I'm earning now. However, like I said, it's not worth my me.

I'm leaving a good company. If things settle down here and they're amenable to the idea, there's always a chance I'll be back at some point in future. (Sweet Elvis, please don't let it come to that.)

So, yes. This is me setting forth once more upon the path of Writer. As in, properly. Besides, after a while, 100-hour weeks get really, really old.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'm jealous of your new part-time gig. I worked for a used bookstore before and loved it. I think I spent my entire check every week on books I set aside for myself! Of course, that was back during the teen years. :)

    Good luck with your new job and the writing!!

    (Oh, and I'm gonna put you in my sidebar if that's okay.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Well, I guess I should say "good luck getting the part time job". Obviously I cannot read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like I might actually go full-time. :) There's a Borders not *too* far from my house, and the people there are fantastic. I put in an app last night, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I was lucky to go in and not buy anything last night. I can't remember the last time I went to a bookstore and bought nothing. (Ohhh, I'm going to be so broke.)

    Sidebar is fine by me. :) Mind if I reciprocate? When I actually get around to putting in a sidebar, at least.

    ReplyDelete